Alameda County is governed by a Board of Supervisors. They meet at the County of Alameda Administration Building in Oakland, at 9 a.m. for closed sessions and 10 a.m. for open session. Their duties are as follows:
- Appoint most County officers and employees, except elected officials
- Provide for the compensation of all County officials and employees
- Create officers, boards, and commissions as needed, appointing the members and fixing the terms of office
- Award all contracts for public works.
- Adopt an annual budget.
- Provide, publish, and enforce a complete code of rules prescribing the duties and the systems of office and management, accounts, and reports for each County department.
- Have an annual audit made of all County accounts, books, and records.
- Supervise the operations of departments and exercise executive and administrative authority throughout County government.
- Serve as appellate body for employee grievances, planning and zoning.
District 1 Scott Haggerty, President
District 2, Gail Steele
District 3, Alice Lai-Bitker, Vice-President
District 4, Nate Miley
District 5, Keith Carson
District office phone numbers:
District 1: (510) 272-6691
District 2: (510) 272-6692
District 3: (510) 272-6693
District 4: (510) 272-6694
District 5: (510) 272-6695